Warner Bros. Records
It’s a rare singer-songwriter who can just give away undeniable hits.
Originals is a compilation album containing 15 tracks gleaned from Prince‘s fabled – and quite literally prised-open – Paisley Park vault. The songs are his original previously unreleased demo recordings of songs that he wrote for or later gave to other artists for inclusion on their own albums and released under their name. The most notable are four top-10 chart hit singles: Manic Monday (the track he gave to The Bangles – Billboard singles chart peak #2); Nothing Compares 2 U (given to and rerecorded by Sinead O’Connor, 1990 – Billboard #1); The Glamorous Life (given to and rerecorded by Shelia E., 1984 – Billboard #7); and Love… Thy Will Be Done (released on the 1991 album Martika’s Kitchen – Billboard #10). On many occasions, in the final recording only the vocal tracking replaced by the other artist’s voice and Prince’s original instrumentation remains largely unaltered.
The songs were selected by The Estate’s representative Troy Carter and artist Jay-Z. The date when the album to be streamed on Jay-Z’s TIDAL service is 7 June 2019 of which would have marked Prince’s 61st birthday. The release of the physical version follows on 21 June. The songs were recorded between 1981 and 1991 during Prince’s tenure with Warner Brothers and therefore Originals is released under that label.
Having declined Michael Jackson’s offer to duet on the title track of his Bad album in 1986*, Prince instead offered his track Wouldn’t You Love To Love Me? to Jackson to rerecord himself, however he declined Prince’s offer and the rivalry between the two icons grew.
*Prince supposedly withdrew his participation due to the opening lyric of that song, which Jackson would to sing to Prince – “Your butt is mine”.
- NPG Records
- Warner Bros. Records
- Due for release on 21 June 2019
- Sex Shooter [for Apollonia 6 (1984)] Recorded 1983
- Jungle Love [for The Time (1984)] Recorded 1983
- Manic Monday [for The Bangles (1985)] Recorded 1984
- Noon Rendezvous [for Sheila E. (1984)] Recorded 1984
- Make-Up [for Vanity 6 (1982)] Recorded 1981
- 100 MPH [for Mazarati (1986)] Recorded 1984
- You're My Love [for Kenny Rogers (1986)] Recorded 1982
- Holly Rock [for Sheila E. (1985)] Recorded 1985
- Baby, You’re a Trip [for Jill Jones (1987)] Recorded 1982
- The Glamorous Life [for Sheila E. (1984)] Recorded 1983
- Gigolos Get Lonely Too [for The Time (1982)] Recorded 1982
- Love… Thy Will Be Done [for Martika (1991)] Recorded 1991
- Dear Michaelangelo [for Sheila E. (1985)] Recorded 1985
- Wouldn’t You Love to Love Me? [for Taja Sevelle (1987)] Recorded 1981
- Nothing Compares 2 U [for The Family (1985), Sinead O'Connor (1990)] Recorded 1984
Warner Bros. Records
- 19 April 2018
- US Chart Peak
- UK Chart Peak
- Nothing Compares 2 U (4:40)
© Goldies Parade, 1998 – 2019 | Privacy