An all-star billed one-off concert, Let’s Go Crazy: The Grammy Salute To Prince recorded at the end of January, airs on CBS on Tuesday 21 April to mark the passing of 4 years since Prince’s death in 2016.
The event, put together by Sheila E, includes a rollcall of well-known names, alumni so to speak, as all cited Prince as a major musical influence in their careers. Hosted by Maya Rudolph, the show was filmed on 28 January, after the 62nd Grammy Awards ceremony, at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
The concert’s highlight is notably the well-oiled performance by The Time of a medley of their Prince penned staples Jungle Love, Cool and The Bird. Members of Prince’s most successful backing band, the Revolution, provided the music for finalie to the near three hour show, which Mavis Staples sung a belting rendition of Purple Rain.
Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters, who covered Darling Nikki in 2003, recalled his encounter with Prince: “Jamming alone with Prince in an arena to ‘Whole Lotta Love’ [was] the single greatest thrill of my pop life.”
The event also featured a specially commissioned documentary, Prince Beginnings in which has contributions by Maya Rudolph, comedian Fred Armisen, long-term friend Naomi Campbell, dancer Misty Copeland, and former The Time stalwart Jimmy Jam. The show is broadcast on CBS from 9pm EST, 21 April, 4 years ago to the day since Prince’s death. The concert is also available on demand via CBS All Access. The setlist is below.
Let’s Go Crazy: The Grammy Salute To Prince
- Let’s Go Crazy [performed by H.E.R. & Gary Clark Jr.]
- I Would Die 4 U [performed by Miguel]
- Controversy [performed by St. Vincent]
- Nothing Compares 2 U [performed by John Legend]
- 1999 [performed by latin artist Juanes]
- The Beautiful Ones [performed by H.E.R.]
- Little Red Corvette / When Doves Cry / Kiss [pre-recorded performance by Usher]
- Manic Monday [performed by Coldplay’s Chris Martin & Susanna Hoffs (The Bangles)]
- Jungle Love / Cool / The Bird [performed by The Time]
- Darling Nikki [performed by Foo Fighters]
- Adore [performed by Earth Wind And Fire]
- Sign O’ The Times [performed by Common]
- Raspberry Beret [performed by Beck]
- The Cross [performed Gary Clark Jr.]
- America / Free / The Glamourous Life [performed by Sheila E.]
- Delirious [performed by Princess & the Revolution]
- Mountains [performed by the Revolution]
- Purple Rain [performed by Mavis Staples & the Revolution]
- Baby I’m A Star [performed by Sheila E., The Time, Foo Fighters, Maya Rudolph & Fred Armisen]
This article is tagged: TributesMore articles